The diet for helping to manage secretory diarrhea is similar to the diet for treating diarrhea from most causes. It uses guidelines to help absorption such as:
- Good Foods to select are usually higher in complex carbohydrates such as starches with lower amounts of insoluble fibers or whole grains.
- Reduce Foods high in concentrated sweets and sugars such as fruit juice, sugary cereals, added sugars, high fructose sugars, honey, and syrup can increase stools.
- Reduce high fat foods such as those fried in oils, high fat content such as ribs, bologna, pepperoni and other high fat cuts of beef and pork.
Tips to choose foods individuals enjoy and also control symptoms:
- Foods cooked soft and low in fiber may be the easiest to absorb such as potatoes with out skin, rice, crackers, winter squash, breads with 3 or less grams fiber.
- Soft fruits without peels, cooked vegetables
- Fruit juice serving are 1/3 to 1/2cup and may be tolerated better if diluted with water.
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of fats can usually be tolerated but higher amounts of even healthy fats may increase symptoms.
- Read Labels and the ingredient list to identify how much sugar, fat and fiber are in foods. Beware of hidden sugars.
Here is a recommended link for information on hidden sugar in foods: https://draxe.com/hidden-sugar-foods
Here is a recommended link for information on hidden fats in foods: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/hidden-fat-vs-obvious-fat-foods-1291.html
Dumping Syndrome: Symptoms of dumping syndrome include: feeling weak, dizzy and/or flushed within 30 minutes of eating. Cramping, pain, nausea, diarrhea and/or sweating may also occur. Tips to avoid diarrhea:*
- Eat 4-6 small meals throughout the day
- Try to eat a source of protein at each meal (such as: poultry, red meat, eggs, tofu, milk, yogurt, or cheese)
- Limit concentrated sugars like candies, cookies, soda, juice, and syrup
- Drink fluids 30-60 minutes before and after meals and snacks, but not during meals
- Choose foods with soluble fibers (such as: oats, quinoa, fruits and vegetables without peels, and legumes)
- Avoid extreme hot or cold foods and beverages
- Eat slowly and rest for 15 minutes after a meal with feet up
Click here for a table of foods to avoid and foods to include if you deal with dumping syndrome.